On Wednesday, May 28, 2014, beginning with the 1200 UTC run, NCEP will upgrade the High-Resolution Window Forecast System (HiResW). The upgrade includes changes to the model components, increases in horizontal and vertical resolution, changes in parameterized physics, product fields, and more.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- The WRF-ARW model horizontal resolution will increase from 5.15 km to 4.2 km (CONUS) and change to WRF Version 3.5 code.
- The WRF-NMM model horizontal resolution will increase from 4.0 to 3.6 km (CONUS) and will be replaced by the Nonhydrostatic Multiscale Model on B-grid (NMMB).
- The number of vertical levels will increase from 35 to 40 in both the new WRF-ARW and NMMB systems.
- The WRF-ARW will change from the use of WRF Single Moment 3-Class (WSM3) microphysics to WRF Single Moment 6-Class (WSM6) microphysics.
- Ferrier microphysics used with WRF-NMM will be updated to the Ferrier-Aligo microphysics in NMMB.
- The new CONUS domain interpolates an initial condition from the Rapid Refresh (RAP) model, with boundary conditions generated from the Global Forecast System (GFS) model. The current West and East domains are initialized using North American Mesoscale (NAM) model conditions for initial and lateral boundary conditions.
More complete details on the model changes can be found in the Technical Information Notice at: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/tin14-16hiresw.htm
Matt Pyle of EMC has set up a website to include plots of output from the parallel (future ) HiResW compared to that of the production (current) HiResW. Note that the production HiResW is using ARW and NMM, whereas the parallel is using ARW and NMM-B. The web site may be viewed at: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/hiresw/ while shortcuts to the pages are shown below. These links will also be added to the NWS RAH High Resolution NWP Reflectivity Comparison web page which can be viewed at: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/hiresnwp/
00Z ARW Simulated radar reflectivity (dBZ), 1000 m AGL
00Z NMMB Simulated radar reflectivity (dBZ), 1000 m AGL
12Z ARW Simulated radar reflectivity (dBZ), 1000 m AGL
12Z NMMB Simulated radar reflectivity (dBZ), 1000 m AGL http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/hiresw/conus12/combonmmb.refd1000_animate_1h.html
00Z ARW and NMMB Multiple fields
12Z ARW and NMMB Multiple fields